Forane® 427A (R427A) retrofit guidelines
Please follow the below guidelines when retrofitting your R-22 system with Forane® 427A (R-427A) - the Easy R-22 RetrofitTM. For additional support and troubleshooting, please contact our customer service department at (800) 245-5858. For any R-22 retrofit technical questions, please contact our technical services hotline at (800) 738-7695. The instructions are intended to be a retrofit guide only. Please consult with OEMs and compressor manufacturers prior to retrofitting your equipment. All technicians working with refrigerants must be trained and certified.
Forane® 427A Refrigerant (R-427A) was commercialized in 2005 to supply the growing demand in Europe for an R-22 retrofit. R-427A has similar capacity, efficiency, and mass-flow rate to R-22, making it an easy retrofit option for large, medium, and small air-conditioning and refrigeration systems. Hundreds of thousands of systems have been converted over to R-427A since 2005, many using the existing mineral and POE oil originally in the system. One major advantage of using Forane® 427A is the mass-flow rate. Unlike other retrofit refrigerants, R-427A’s mass-flow rate is within 8% of R-22. Rarely will an expansion device need to be changed, while maintaining a very close capacity comparison to R-22.
- Record how the system is running on R-22. If the system is not running, determine a target superheat/subcooling, air temperature drop, and current draw. Example: How should the system run on R-22? What would the pressure/temperatures, superheat/subcooling, and current draw be if the system were running on R-22. See note*
- Recover the R-22 charge.
- Determine if changing or adding POE oil is needed. See note**
- Check oil quality for contamination and/or acidity.
- Install new filter dryer then leak check system. See note***.
- Replace rubber and neoprene external seals and gaskets. . See note****
- Charge 90% liquid of the original R-22 charge and let the system run for 20 minutes.
- Add liquid refrigerant to attain target superheat/subcooling.
- Properly label the system as being retrofitted with Forane® 427A (R427A). For Forane® 427A (R427A) system labels, call Arkema’s customer service
at (800) 245-5858.
Different systems, different compressors, and the age/condition of the installation could all impact performance when transitioning to another refrigerant. Poor airflow and design load could also impact performance. Be aware of these conditions before retrofitting. Systems that are not running properly on R-22 most likely not perform any better with another refrigerant.