Arkema brings new resins reactor online in Brazil
With the start-up of the new reactor, Arkema has improved virtually every aspect of the company’s latex production in Brazil, including manufacturing, logistics and shipping, storage, filtration and the capabilities of the reactor itself.
“These improvements will enable us to begin migrating production capabilities and product lines currently available in other parts of the world to the facility in Brazil,” Eric Schmitt, President, Arkema Quimica Ltda. Brazil, explained. “We can now provide customers local manufacturing of innovative, market-leading products, produced in a modern, automated facility with a focus on consistent, repeatable quality, and environmental responsibility.”
Products manufactured at the plant will now include a much wider range of chemistries, including 100% acrylic, styrene acrylic, vinyl acrylic, vinyl VeoVa™ and polyvinyl acetate (PVA). These products are used across many traditional and emerging applications in industries such as architectural coatings, industrial coatings, pressure sensitive adhesives and construction adhesives, textiles, sealants and waterproofing membranes.
As production ramps up, Arkema will begin to introduce new products based on demand and market potential. The first products added to the production capabilities of the new facility include:
- ENCOR® 265 BR, a high scrubbing styrene acrylic resin for use in architectural coatings.
- ENCOR® DT 211 BR, a 100% acrylic ideally suited for fast-dry traffic paints.
- ENCOR® 161 BR styrene acrylic latex for use in mortars and grouts, tile adhesives and waterproofing membranes, as well as cement-based skim coats, gap fillers, and in decorative concrete applications.
- ENCOR® 413 BR, an acrylic emulsion polymer specifically developed for use in the polymer modification of Portland cement and other hydraulic cement compositions.
- ENCOR® 9801 BR acrylic pressure sensitive adhesive for packaging tape applications.
- ENCOR® 9466 BR, a high solids acrylic pressure sensitive adhesive for label applications.
“Arkema has been investing consistently to expand our global presence in resins” said Carlos Lion, Market Manager for Arkema Coating Resins in South America. “Local production in Brazil will allow us to better serve our current customers while, at the same time, offering formulators in various market areas, such as coatings, construction and adhesives, more competitive access to the raw materials they need.”
The start-up of this new capacity underscores Arkema’s commitment to growing its franchise in the global coatings industry, as well as in local markets served.
For more information about Arkema Coating Resins, visit www.arkemacoatingresins.com.
A global chemical company and France’s leading chemicals producer, Arkema is building the future of the chemical industry every day. Deploying a responsible, innovation-based approach, we produce state-of-the-art specialty chemicals that provide customers with practical solutions to such challenges as climate change, access to drinking water, the future of energy, fossil fuel preservation and the need for lighter materials. With operations in nearly 50 countries, about 19,000 employees, and research centers in North America, France and Asia, Arkema generates pro forma annual revenue of €7.5 billion ($9.5 billion), and holds leadership positions in all its markets with a portfolio of internationally recognized brands.
ENCOR® is a registered trademark of Arkema Inc.
VeoVa™ is a trademark of Hexion Inc.